[PlanetCCRMA] ccrma on gentoo

Mark Knecht markknecht@gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 19:25:02 2006

On 2/21/06, Charlls Quarra <charlls_quarra@yahoo.com.ar> wrote:

> Benjamin Hardy <drycellbattery@yahoo.ca> escribió:
>
> A binary distro is less burdensome, but again that's
> just me. I have a hunch though that alot of people
> here would prefer sticking to some rpm based. A lot of
> people like thier DAWs to just work, without too much
> administration.
>

> The level of administration of gentoo once the base system is installed is
> ridiculous. After i did that, i installed the daw by doing as root;
>
> emerge ardour
>
> that simple command took care of installing;
>
> x11-xorg, gtk, and everything needed for the ardour gui
> jack-audio-connection-kit
> everything else that is a dependency of ardour, or is a dependency of a
> dependency
>
> th! e only problem is that emerge depends of an ebuild file existing for
> that package in the portage system. But you can write your own ebuilds and
> setting up a different portage overlay (maybe portage-audio, or
> portage-ccrma?)

Yep, it's truly (almost) that easy. I would have first suggested doing

emerge -pv ardour

and checking that all the package flags looked good and if they didn't
adjusting package.use file. After that doing emerge ardour would have
been enough.

That said, I don't think that's the real issue that was brought up
earlier. What was perceived a problem for Fernando was not that Gentoo
is hard to manage but rather that he needs to manage 50-100 machines
and feels that he's have to build code on all of them from scratch.
This is not really true though. No one I know has ever built Open
Office from scratch on a Gentoo box. Everyone uses the binary
packages. We download a binary for packages we don't want to build,
and I think the original idea here was that possibly this could be
done thus making the Gentoo box very CCRMA line

emerge CCRMA-ardour-bin
emerge CCRMA-rosegarden-bin

etc...

All of the binary packages would be kept on the CCRMA servers exactly
like the RPMs for Fedora are today.

Hope this clarifies both sides a bit....

Cheers,
Mark