[PlanetCCRMA] fc4 journaling

Jonathan Segel jsegel@magneticmotorworks.com
Thu Feb 16 20:24:01 2006

i have two partitions on my laptop, the solid fc3 planet ccrma that
i've been using for a while and one that's a tester, been keeping up
with fc4 lately.
a couple things are preventing me from using the fc4 as default. the
main one is that there seems to be some sort of mega-journaling going
on, where the disk clunks a write every few seconds. i mean, perhaps
its journaling, but honestly, it's loud enough to hear it. that
combined with the fact that it seems to result in a periodic set of
xruns in jack (when running) kind of dissuades me from using it. what
is going on differently in the small-period system or disk tasks?

second (slightly annoying thing) is the simple fact that a log out of
gnome give me no option to restart or shut down, so i always have to
go that extra step back to terminal (i boot init 3) and sudo poweroff.

Jonathan Segel                 4014 Brookdale Ave. Oakland, CA 94619
jsegel@magneticmotorworks.com <-----> magsatellite@yahoo.com