[PlanetCCRMA] [OT] firepod analog preamped inputs

Paul Coccoli pcoccoli@gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 11:14:01 2006

On 2/14/06, Charlls Quarra <charlls_quarra@yahoo.com.ar> wrote:

>   Hi,
>
>  I recently bought a presonus firepod unit, and the documentation says that
> in the two first inputs you can plug passive instruments (like an electric
> guitar or bass) and mics or active instruments in the other 6. So i was
> curious if anyone on the list owned this unit and could tell me what this
> means; it means that is not safe to plug an additional guitar in one of the
> other 6 inputs? What you would recommend for setting up, say, two guitars
> and a bass guitar with this unit?

I don't own this unit, but what I gather is that the first two inputs
will accept a high impedance (also called "Hi Z") input.  There's
probably a switch to enable this.  That means you can plug an electric
guitar straight into those inputs (this is known as direct recording).
 If you want to record more guitar simultaneously, you will either
need to mic the rest or use a direct box (DI).

See http://www.whirlwindusa.com/tech03.html or
http://tapeplus.com/impedancefaq.html for more information on
impedance matching.

Hope that helps