[PlanetCCRMA] frustrated with midi - finding no help

Mon Feb 13 11:07:02 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 12:52 -0600, David Slimp wrote:
> Fernando,
>
> I started off trying without virmidi and since that wasn't working someone
> suggested turning it on... either way it does not help.  I will turn
> it off for now.
>
> $ cat /proc/asound/devices  # (virmidi on)
>   8: [0- 0]: raw midi
>  16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback
>  24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture
>   0: [0- 0]: ctl
>   1:       : sequencer
>  33:       : timer
>  43: [1- 3]: raw midi
>  42: [1- 2]: raw midi
>  41: [1- 1]: raw midi
>  40: [1- 0]: raw midi
>  32: [1- 0]: ctl
>

> ... now, without virmidi:
> $ cat /proc/asound/devices
>   8: [0- 0]: raw midi
>  16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback
>  24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture
>   0: [0- 0]: ctl
>   1:       : sequencer
>  33:       : timer
>
> yes... I do see the midi device available on the 1010LT card
>
> When I start qjackctl, I do have a MIDI tab, and I see these two
> in/out ports available:
> 62: MIDI Through
> 64: M Audio Delta 1010LT
> .. both are avail on input and output sides.

Hmmm, weird.

> Now, I start kmidimon:
> $ kmidimon
> kbuildsycoca running...
> ALSA lib seq.c:928:(snd_seq_open_noupdate) Unknown SEQ default
> KMidiMon ALSA Error Sequencer open rc: -2 (No such file or directory)
> kmidimon: seq.c:1157: snd_seq_client_id: Assertion `seq' failed.
> KCrash: Application 'kmidimon' crashing...
>
> not sure where to go from here.

Let's see if you have the device files:
  ls -l /dev/snd/midi*
  ls -l /dev/seq*

Or we could try to trace kmidimon to actually see what's failing. To do
that do:

  strace kmidimon &> trace.text

and then examine trace.text with an editor, I imagine there is something
wrong with /dev, a file missing or something like that.

-- Fernando