[PlanetCCRMA] Hardware for a Laptop

plutek plutek@infinity.net
Fri Feb 10 14:04:02 2006

Benjamin Hardy wrote:

> In my recording school they recommend a firewire drive, as it's
> supposodly more stable than Usb 2.0. The speed differences are very
> little. I picked up a Maxtor 250GB 7200rpm 16MB cache internal drive
> with a Vantec NexStar enclosure that is both usb and firewire
> equipped. It cost me about $154 Canadian. It connected fine to my
> CCRMA setup and I made several fat32 partitions, though I didn't do it
> properly :P I had a heck of a time to get Windows XP to recognize my
> partitions, although I'm sure I formatted the partition as fat32 some
> partitioning apps thought the partitions were ext2. It was a pain but
> I got my data with some ext2 software for windows.
> As far as the pcmcia interface, the only one I know that works is
> http://www.core-sound.com/pdaudio-cf/1.php

my laptop has only fw400; i use usb2 lacie drives all the time, and can
push 18channels @ 32bit/44.1kHz. i always use xfs on those external
audio drives, since it has better performance with large file sizes.

the rme multiface connects to the laptop via a proprietary pcmcia card.
it is an excellent unit, but perhaps overkill for your situation.

-p