[PlanetCCRMA] On the Necessity of Being Root

Jan Depner eviltwin69@cableone.net
Fri Feb 3 23:42:01 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-04 at 00:53 -0500, Benjamin Hardy wrote:
> I was always running my apps as a normal user, not root. Is it still
> better to run Jack, Ardour, et el as root for better real time
> performance?

    It's no longer necessary to run as root.  You used to have to run as
root so you could run SCHED_FIFO to get good performance.  If you
weren't running as root with a 2.4 kernel you weren't running real-time.

> I always had issues with latency but I either blamed it on
> my Audigy card or for using KDE (though I also had problems in XFCE). At
> the moment I'm back to using Windows XP to make use of my Maudio
> Audiophile 192 (and am pretty disappointed about the situation). I still
> check back in the Linux world to see what's happening.

    The easiest way to get everything set up nicely is to load FC3 and
then use the Planet CCRMA stuff.