[PlanetCCRMA] Audigy 2 ZS Platinum problems?

Mark Haidekker HaidekkerM@missouri.edu
Fri Dec 8 10:41:01 2006

Hello all,

who can help me:

System: Dual Athlon MP on a Asus board. NVIDIA graphics, Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
soundcard (this is where I suspect the problem). Running
2.6.12-0.21.rdt.rhfc4.ccrmasmp #1 SMP with emu10k1, ALSA, Jack.

Using asfxload to load soundfonts:

(a)sfxload -v -b 0 /path/to/soundfonts/PC51f.sf2

PROBLEM 1: The hardware wavetable synth does not recognize the reverb and
chorus controllers. It _does_ recognize velocity, though. No difference
between asfxload and sfxload. Even aweset does not seem to do anything,
altough aweset completes without errors. Other than this problem, I can play
nicely with Rosegarden. Without reverb, it's just a bit dry.

I am also trying to get another soundfont into Bank 1:

(a)sfxload -v -b 1 /path/to/soundfonts/some.other.sf2

asfxload -M shows reduced memory. I have created a second bank in Rosegarden
for the General Midi device.

PROBLEM 2: I can select the bank/instrument in Rosegarden but get the
instruments from bank 0. It appears as if the card or driver does not
recognize the bank parameter. And Rosegarden seems to get confused about
whether to offer "program" or "bank" options.

It appears to me that both problems are related, likely that some ioctl codes
or controller codes are not recognized or different between the SB Live! and
the Audigy series.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark Haidekker