[PlanetCCRMA] Connecting a Pick-up to a standard Line-in of a soundcard

Joe Hartley jh@brainiac.com
Fri Dec 8 05:39:02 2006

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 14:02:23 +0100
Gwen Stouthuysen <gwen.stouthuysen@telenet.be> wrote:
> Has someone ever tried to connect a Pick-up to a line-in of a laptop?
>
> Are there tool to do this?
> The idea is to copy the LP's to the Hard-disk now that it really gets
> out of date.
> And before the Pick-up is broken.

Gwen, turntables have a very low signal that's not strong enough to
drive a standard line-level input.  A pre-amp of some sort is required.
I use a stereo receiver that has both phono-in and tape-out jacks, and connect the tape-out jack to my computer's line-in jack.

There also exist standalone phono preamps, as well as new turntables that
have USB connectors!