[PlanetCCRMA] and where is fedora core 6??

blindman jones erleichda@gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 18:53:02 2006

hello,

I don't use my audio apps for creating music, I record live shows and
use Ardour+JAMin to master those recordings to CD. Purely a hobbyist.
So, heavy duty realtime was never a big issue for me. the rdt kernel
from ccrma worked great for me, the rrt locked up my Asus P4PE though.

I had the ccrma apps on FC5 installed and eventually there were no new
ccrma realtime kernels coming out so I decided to try the most updated
FC5 stock kernel, 2.6.18-1.2200... the newest ccrma was
2.6.16-1.2080... to my amazement, the FC5 kernel worked just as good
if not better and I worked with that for a long time. It had enough
realtime features in it to work perfect for me with the only xruns
being when I was completed exporting in Ardour, I would have an
xrun... but I only knew that cause I saw it there in the log... I saw
a single xrun at the time the export completed... I never had problems
when playing back or during actual export.

So, when FC6 came out I was not so nervous about upgrading, because I
knew Ardour and JACK had moved to extras and JAMin would be my only
worry. I upgraded (actually I installed on a new harddrive) to FC6,
got the JAMin source rpm from ccrma and installed Ardour, JACK and
rebuilt a JAMin... btw, you must use the fftw/fftw-devel from extras
and not the fftw3/fftw3-devel found at rpmforge to rebuild the JAMin
src rpm on FC6.

But once I got everything installed, the limits.conf file updated and
started JACK and fired up Ardour... no good... constant xruns and no
amount of fiddling would fix it. I got it where they were few and far
between... but I still got them and the output would get tiny jitters.

So, I don't know if my succes on FC5 with ccrma apps BUT FC5 stock
kernel had to do with ccrma or the kernel or what. But the stock FC6
kernel + Ardour/JACK from extras is not working the same.

Luckily, I left the FC5 installed on another drive, so I can reboot to
mix shows... but I like many of the FC6 features... so I will be
anxious to test out any realtime kernels you get made Fernando. Wish I
had more to offer, I am not a kernel hacker dude... but if there is
anything I can test for you, be sure to let me know I will do my best
to help.

Thanks again for all your efforts.

later,
Michael