[PlanetCCRMA] Bus error on multiple programs

Fri Aug 11 18:33:01 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 14:56 -0700, Gregory Adam Moos wrote:
> I recently installed the Planet CCRMA audio package on
> a Dell Inspiron 8100 notebook running FC4.  After a
> fairly hassle free install, everything seems to be in
> its proper place.  However, quite a few of the
> programs won't run, and return the same cryptic error
> message.  Example:
>
>    :#hydrogen
>    :Bus error
>    :#
>
> It stalls for a bit before it returns the bus error,
> and it doesn't give any more information than that.
> Hydrogen, Roesgarden4, MuSE, qjackctl, and a few other
> programs are doing it, but other programs work just
> fine.  Any ideas?

Sounds like something is really broken in your box. Is this an install
from scratch? Do any programs actually work? I was going to suggest that
sound may not be setup correctly but from what you say qjackctl is not
starting up and that does not depend on anything (sound or midi) until
you actually press play in the gui.

Hmmm, hard to know what to say.

You could check the integrity of the installed programs by doing:
  rpm -V name_of_package
(for example "rpm -V qjackctl")
if there are no errors then the binary install is fine and something
should be wrong with the libraries that the program uses.

For example, in qjackctl, does it find all the shared libraries it
needs?:
  ldd /usr/bin/qjackctl

Also, have you installed from source base libraries (like qt, gtk2,
etc)?

-- Fernando