[PlanetCCRMA] Kernel Panic - Help!

Wed Aug 2 17:18:02 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 17:03 +0100, andrew@longland-meech.me.uk wrote:
> Hi Fernando and All,
> I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I can't boot
> my computer because of a kernel panic and I wondered if anyone
> can help me fix this.
>
> I'm using kernel 2.6.16-1.2080.13.rdt.rhfc5.ccrma although I get
> the same problem with the Fedora kernel too, and the problem happens
> so early on during booting that I don't think this can be the cause
> of the problem.

To see what error message you get you could boot in text mode (ie: edit
the kernel boot command line in grub and erase the "rghb quiet" bit at
the end of it).

> Also I haven't recently upgraded and I've been able
> to boot just fine up to now!
>
> This is what I see:
>
> 	Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
> 	Red Hat nash version 5.0.32 starting
> 	Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
> 	Found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2
> 	2 logical volume(s) in volume group "VolGroup00" now active
>
> Then after about 2 seconds:
>
> 	Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
>
> And that's it! Sorry to be so vague. Can anyone help or point me
> in the direction of where I might find help, please??

Are there any more messages right before the "Kernel panic" one?

> I can boot using the Fedora rescue mode from CD, but I don't know
> what to do to fix the problem when I'm in!

Hmmm, strange. Like Mark says there's not enough data to know what's
really happening. You can boot which is good (in rescue mode).

Anything you have done recently that could have resulted in things
changing in your machine? (a new hard disk, installed another linux or
other operating system, changed hard disks or disk controllers or
something like that?).

-- Fernando