[PlanetCCRMA] Planetedge kernels and nvidia drivers

Jan Depner eviltwin69@cableone.net
Sun Apr 16 06:31:02 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 09:14 -0400, Joe Hartley wrote:
> I've been running FC4 and kernel 2.6.12-0.21.rdt.rhfc4.ccrma and it's
> been OK, though it doesn't feel as tight as my old RH9/CCRMA setup.
>
> So in the interest of better performance, I pull down the
> 2.6.14-0.10.rrt.rhfc4.ccrma kernel, but there's a hitch: my nvidia drivers
> (which built and installed fine for 2.6.12) can't find the kernel
> sources to build a new driver against.
>
> I looked for a kernel-devel package, but only found one for a stock FC4
> kernel.  Has anyone run 2.6.14-0.10.rrt.rhfc4.ccrma with nvidia?  How'd
> you get the nvidia-installer to run?

Joe,

    I have it running.  You have to get the 2.6.14-0.10.rrt.rhfc4
source.  I can't remember exactly what I did though.  I think I ran the
installer a couple of times before it finally kicked in.  I used the
8178 NVIDIA run package.  I have to warn you that the NVIDIA driver and
2.6.14-0.10.rrt.rhfc4 have some issues.  When I go into KDE or Gnome the
screen will freeze for a while and you'll see the following in the dmesg
listing:

NVRM: Trying to sleep during raised irql!!
NVRM:   are we holding a lock?
NVRM:   skipping os_delay

It will eventually unfreeze and then work fine.

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744