[PlanetCCRMA] question for yum experts...

Thu Apr 13 19:24:01 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 22:15 -0400, Matt Marian wrote:
> shame about apt ( I think it is much faster than yum , but I will roll
> with the flow)

Yeah, too bad... Part of the "speed" perception is that yum always
downloads the state from the servers unlike apt where you have to
explicitly tell it to do that ("apt-get update"). There's a cache
duration for that in yum.conf or you can work from the cache with -C and
then it is not so bad.

> I know you can do a  "yum list available"
> but that lists everything available from the repository(ies)
> wait ....
> yum list available | grep "kernel"
> also    yum list available | grep "kernel" >  kernel.txt      or the like

Look carefully, that does not list kernels that are older than the one
you have installed but are still available (in a way it makes sense, you
would not normally want to "downgrade").

Somebody suggested "yum search kernel*| grep whatever" and that does
list everything.

-- Fernando