[PlanetCCRMA] firewire support thru freebob?

Mark Knecht markknecht@gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 13:54:01 2005

On 10/31/05, Charlls Quarra <charlls_quarra@yahoo.com.ar> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  How many of you have tried the freebob drivers (
> http://freebob.sourceforge.net ) with firewire
> devices. I'm particularly interested in any
> experiences with the presonus firebox and edirol boxes
> fa 66 and 101 (one of which i'm going to buy, as soon
> as i'm sure i'm going to be able to use it under
> linux)
>

> Running on:
> 1.5 Ghz P4
> 256Mb
> asus v800x chipset
> RH9 CCRMA-patched linux

I have not tried Freebob yet. I'm still studying it and looking around
for a 1394 box to buy. However I think it might be a bit harder to use
on a Planet box than some other distros right now. Freebob is
currently delivering it's own customized version of Jack which you are
required to use. I suspect that it's no big deal, but you'd have a
harder time keeping an RPM distro happy when you try to remove your
existing version of Jack to replace it with this one.

I believe the Jack developers are talking about getting it into the
main Jack distribution so that the Freebob guys don't have to do that,
but it's not apparently there yet.

Hope this helps,
Mark