[PlanetCCRMA] PlanetCCRMA vs the mainstream

Joseph Dell'Orfano fullgo@dellorfano.net
Tue Oct 18 17:49:02 2005

For what it's worth...

The reason why I started using Linux was purely practical. I built a
computer, since that allowed me to actually save money and have a better
hardware platform. All I had at home were some windoze 95 upgrade disks
which meant I had to first load up DOS 6.0m then upgrade. And with XP
coming out at the time, I didn't want to have to shell out even more
money for a full version of the OS. Remember, the cost of the full
version of XP was nearly half what I paid for the computer. Linux on the
other hand was free, so I bought Linux for Dummies and haven't looked
back.

Likewise, when I wanted to set up a home recording studio and migrate up
from my Tascam 4-track cassette unit, I built another computer and
loaded up Fedora. I discovered PlanetCCRMA and found that I was able to
have a fully functional DAW with a minimal amount of difficulty by
following Fernando's step-by-step instructions. In effect, this was
Linux Audio for Dummies. The major selling point of this for me was that
it was free and way more stable than any windoze platform I had used.

Some Linux audio stuff will reach the mainstream (i.e., Ardour port to
Mac). However, we don't really need to be in the mainstream as long as
we can make music and share these files with others. Currently I share
tracks recorded with Ardour and I share files sequenced with Rosegarden.
There is no barrier between my system and any of my friends' studios.

That being said, if Linux audio is to become mainstream, then more
professional recording studios need to use this. Plus, it wouldn't hurt
if there was a PC with an RME card and a Behringer BCF control panel
running PlanetCCRMA with Ardour at my local Guitar Center. The price tag
would be WAY less than the protools unit next to it (retailing at over
$2000) and people would be able to use it and see what it can do.

So, anyone on the list own a music store?

-Joe

--
Joseph Dell'Orfano <fullgo@dellorfano.net>