[PlanetCCRMA] PlanetCCRMA vs the mainstream

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell@gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 12:18:02 2005

On 10/18/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think from a pure marketing POV he's probably right. There isn't a
> lot new in terms of app names in the last year. There are now much
> more stable apps, but that probably doesn't sell magazines.

The improvement from a maturity perspective is huge but you're right..
it's not interesting to outsiders. I think we've probably only got one
more round of new applications required before it's all just
incremental improvements.

> Linux Audio is so fragmented it's hard for new people to get their
> hands around it, and so many of the apps are so obscure that they are
> likely not well understood in a few paragraphs. And still we do not
> have a single 'go to' app to replace Pro Tools/Cubase/etc. so many
> people wouldn't even attempt to use this as a platform. It's FAR too
> hard from a new user perspective.

I'm not too sure about that.

Ardour is pretty similar to protools, though I understand that
protools has gained midi support since I last used it.

I've gotten a few people using Ardour, and while I'd agree it's too
hard for most people to get started on their own, I've found that if
someone helps them out and does the sysadmin stuff, people generally
don't have too hard a time.

> That said, we need more articles out there to attract more people. I
> hope you don't give up.

What would eventually be really useful is an knoppixized (on DVD I
suspect) of planetccrma. Hardware support might make turning that into
more than a wish difficult... but if we could provide a bootable CD
with Jack+ardour+effects+softsynths and a few tutorial videos and get
a magazine to ship it.. wow. :)