[PlanetCCRMA] Editing and rendering subtitles for video

David Fraser davidf@sjsoft.com
Tue Oct 11 00:06:01 2005

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 17:10 +0200, David Fraser wrote:
>

>>Hi all
>>
>>A friend of mine is wanting to edit subtitles for movies, and then
>>render them onto a movie that can be played on windows machines...
>>I found quite a few apps that will allow the editing of subtitles
>>(Ksubtitle seemed fairly good) but am struggling with the rendering.
>>Basically he just wants the text overlayed on top of the video image. I
>>tried to see if this could be done with cinelerra by creating text
>>images, but it seemed too much work.
>>Has anybody got any hints / tips on the best way to do this using free
>>software?
>>

>Kino is a basic video editor for fv format files, it has a titler plugin
>available. I don't know if it would be useful.
>
>On FC4 the package for the editor is "kino" and "kino-dvtitler" for the
>plugin.

Aha! Thanks.
I didn't see this because I couldn't open the file in kino.
Indeed, I still can't. It seems to accept only DV format, but I can't
work out how to get existing video off a DVD into this format.
I've tried mencoder and transcode. It seems there isn't much information
on this on the web as Kino is basically designed for importing off a
1394 camera.
Anyway I think spumux can do what I need but it would be nice to be able
to use Kino on general videos - any ideas anyone?

David