[PlanetCCRMA] Lost in the backroads..

Mon Oct 10 10:09:00 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 01:36 -0400, Jeff Farr wrote:
> Allright, I think I've narrowed it down a bit.  Some of the trouble
> was that I hadn't "alsasound on" -ed again since the last reboot.  Now
> ardour, snd, freqTweek and hydrogen are 'working'.  However, if I try
> to start JackRack it still says it can't find the alsa sequencer and
> "no such file or directory".  Likewise if I try to alsasound start or
> stop in /etc/rc.d/init.d bash says it doesn't recognize the command.
> Perhaps I've missed something?

What do you see when you do a:
  cat /proc/asound/cards
  cat /proc/asound/devices
Are you sure you have the alsasound script set up to run at boot?
Do the following:
  /sbin/chkconfig --list alsasound
It should print something like:
  alsasound       0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
(note the "5:on" part, that means the service will be started when you
go to level 5, multiuser with the X server running).

If it does try starting it manually, do (as root):
  /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start
That should load the sequencer module automatically (and subsequently on
every reboot).

Regretfully all apps are different and some may require command line
arguments to use Jack, otherwise they will not try to use it and may
fail silently when, for example, they try to use alsa and find the
devices in use because Jack is already running.

-- Fernando