[PlanetCCRMA] Stability problems on FC3 i386, AMD Athlon64, Asus K8V SE Dlx

Aapo Romu beepo@vanguard.fi
Sun Oct 9 14:14:01 2005

Hi,

I wonder if You could help me to find a starting point to find the cause
of my stability problems. I'm running Fedora Core 3 i386 on my AMD Athlon
64 3000+ with Asus K8V SE Deluxe mainboard, 1024MB of Kingston DDR400
memory and 2x SATA150 drives with software RAID (booting from IDE), Radeon
8500DV AIW and SB Audigy Platinum Ex, Marvell Gigabit integrated ethernet.

If I'm using PlanetCCRMA kernel 2.6.10-2.1.ll.rhfc3.ccrma the system just
hangs arbitrarily. Anything won't work. There's nothing on
/var/log/messages. The hangup can occur anytime doing just about anything.
The most certain way however is to execute something intensive (like
compiling cinelerra 2.0)

If I run on PlanetCCRMA kernel 2.6.11-0.3.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma the system
occasionally just reboots.

I noticed that atleast with BIOS 1005 (Award real(?) version number
something like 8.00.1) the mainboard has a tendency to try some kind of
automatic overclocking if performance mode is set to Auto. So I upgraded
the BIOS to 1007 (8.00.9?) and set the performance mode to standard
(system won't even boot up if set to turbo). I also set the PCI latency to
32 clock cycles so that my audio latency would be better. The stability
problems has been the same before with PCI latency set to 64.

I'm completelly lost here so if You can tell me what I should be looking
for or if You need more infomation about the issue I would really
appreciate Your help.

Best Regards:
  Aapo Romu