[PlanetCCRMA] Kernel compilation

Luis Garrido garrido_luis@hotmail.com
Fri Oct 7 07:11:01 2005

Hi all!

I am considering the possibility of building a custom kernel for my
Planet/FC3.

I have a Pentium M laptop and I have obtained very good results in Windows
XP of undervolting the CPU. Undervolting means running the CPU at a lower
voltage than that recommended by the manufacturer which results in lower
battery consumption and lower fan noise. On the other hand, the stability of
the system may be compromised, so one'd better be careful and read a lot
before trying it.

In Windows you have utilities like Centrino Hardware Control that allow to
tweak the CPU on the spot. In Linux, the only way so far is to change the
voltage/frequency tables at the kernel source and recompile the kernel :-(

>From a recent post of Mark Knecht about kernel compilation (thanks!)  it
seems that he is using a vanilla stock kernel plus Ingo's patches. Is that
right, Mark? Is there some potential pitfall in not using a Fedora specific
patched kernel? If you don't need dripping bleeding edge features, wouldn't
it be safer to rebuild from the SRPMS at

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/all/linux/SRPMS/

as Nando explains in this posting

http://ccrma-mail.stanford.edu/pipermail/planetccrma/2005-September/010273.html

Cheers,