[PlanetCCRMA] 3 installation questions

Mark Knecht markknecht@gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 19:54:00 2005

On 11/5/05, Peter Lutek <plutek@infinity.net> wrote:
> 7lb9oz Productions wrote:

> > Does anyone here use a "low resource" desktop like fluxbox, if so
> > which one(s)?
> >

> i use ion3 and absolutely love it. it's not in the planet repository,
> and must be downloaded and compiled separately. have a look at
> http://modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~tuomov/ion/ if you're interested. it's a very
> different paradigm -- no menus, no "desktop", very keyboard-oriented. i
> love all the keyboard-based workspace/window switching and resizing,
> especially on my laptop, where screen real estate is limited. it's also
> quite minimal in terms of resource usage.
>
> -p

Today I mostly use Gnome. I have used fluxbox in the past on my audio
machines but I got a bit tired of messing with menus all the time.
fluxbox is very low resource, and I run it on my MythTV frontend
machines.

I've also been playing for the last month or so with fvwm-crystal
which is really very pretty and has a nice feature set. Unfortunately
it still requires a bit much in terms of managing the menus, etc., but
I like it.

In the end, for day to day use I really like Gnome's drag and drop
capabilities and also the way I can pretty transparently use all the
machines on my network.

- Mark