[PlanetCCRMA] FC3 Midi confusion

Robert Jonkman yeahtuna@lansoundstream.com
Tue Mar 29 03:39:01 2005

This is my third serious crack at using Linux for recording.  Every time
I work with the planet CCRMA package it gets easier and easier.  This
time I've gotten virtually everything working except for midi.  I've
been searching everywhere for the answer.  First I'll tell you what I'm
trying to do.  I'm trying to get my UC-33 to control ardour.  Simple
enough right?  Every Midi program I try doesn't work.  Nothing registers
any information from my midi controller except Pure Data, which seems to
have some success using the OSS deices.  Here's some relevant data.

Soundcard: delta 1010
OS: FC3 running the planet ccrma kernel

Here's my modprobe.conf
alias eth0 sk98lin
# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.9rc1 ---
alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712
options snd-ice1712 index=0
alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
options snd-usb-audio index=1
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

** I added the snd-usb-audio in an attempt to use the controller as a
USB device.  Initially I had just patched it into the midi in of my
delta 1010.

Here's what aconnect -i returns:
client 0: 'System' [type=kernel]
    0 'Timer           '
    1 'Announce        '
client 62: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
    0 'Midi Through Port-0'
client 64: 'M Audio Delta 1010 MIDI' [type=kernel]
    0 'M Audio Delta 1010 MIDI'
client 72: 'UC-33 USB MIDI Controller' [type=kernel]
    0 'UC-33 USB MIDI Controller MIDI '
    1 'UC-33 USB MIDI Controller MIDI '

Here's what cat /proc/asound/devices returns
  8: [0- 0]: raw midi
 16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback
 24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture
  0: [0- 0]: ctl
  1:       : sequencer
 33:       : timer
 40: [1- 0]: raw midi
 32: [1- 0]: ctl

I'm not even sure what other information you might need to help me.  Are
there any tools to help me diagnose the problem?

I've also read somewhere that I needed to do the following:
/sbin/chkconfig alsasound on

I've done that.  Several times just to be sure.  Cheers to anyone who'll
take the time to try and give me a hand.

1
di