[PlanetCCRMA] Ardour/Jack Transport/Sequencer that actually tracks?

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Mon Mar 28 10:23:01 2005

Hi,
   Just poking around while I think about a new DAC.

   Has anyone yet found a sequencer that really, actually, truly, day
in and day out, will work with the Jack Transport and Ardour and stay
sample accurate? Preferably it's in the Planet database but outside is
OK if that's required.

Here's the work flow:

1) First do a bunch of work in MIDI. Drum tracks, basic keys, maybe
bass, etc. Get it sounding good using GigaStudio, LinuxSampler and
outboard synths.

2) Record it to Ardour in MULTIPLE passes. Maybe Ardour cannot track
32 stereo tracks so I need to do this in multiple passes. I need
Ardour and the sequencer to be dead lock on from recording pass to
recording pass using Jack Transport. I do not need to loop or do
anything else fancy.

3) Turn off sequencer.

4) Record additional audio tracks within Ardour.

5) Rough mix and bounce stems.

Steps 1 & 2 are the frustrating ones for me under Linux. If there
really was a dead on, always works solution it might really change the
way I do my music which is currently still Pro Tools based.

Thanks,
Mark