[PlanetCCRMA] Apt log? & Ongoing lack of GUI for TiMidity

Fri Mar 18 16:52:01 2005

dityOn Fri, 2005-03-18 at 10:55, nigel henry wrote:
> Hi folks. Easy one first. Is there supposed to be a log file for apt, like
> there is for yum in /var/log?

Not that I know...

> The apt archives cache isn't much use for time and date logged updates.

You can use rpm itself to see when packages were updated (if that is
what you want to know):

  rpm -q -a --last

will list all packages sorted by install time...
You could also create custom lists with formatted output, like:
  rpm -q -a --qf "%{NAME}  %{BUILDHOST}\n"
This will list all query tags available:
  rpm -q --querytags

> TiMidity++ version 2.11.3  on FC2, Kernel version 2.6.10-0.2.rdt.rhfc2.ccrma
> and later ones. Alsa version 1.0.8
> Kmidi works fine on FC1 as a front end for TiMidity. KDE having dropped Kmidi
> from FC2 seem to have put an end to using TiMidity as a stand alone midi
> player. Trying to start it on the CLI just brings up an info page. Double
> clicking on it in /usr/bin does nothing, as against other binaries with known
> GUI's, games etc. Using the -ig option on the CLI says "Interface g not
> compiled in" , so on the face of it, it looks like theres no inbuilt GUI for
> it.

Apparently not. "timidity -h" will list all options, including
interfaces built in.

I do have a newer version of timidity (even with jack support) but I
have had not time lately to try to release it.

> MDK10.0 uses TiMidity++-2.12.0-0.pre1.4mdk. This has a nice little piano
> desktop icon and opens up a midi player, which seems to work in the same way
> as Kmidi did. Sourceforges site now shipping TiMidity++ version 2.13, shows a
> screenshot for it. A bit confusing as further down their page there is a link
> to a Japanese site for a script to make a GUI for it, see.
> http://wids.net/lab/timidity.html . A lot of it is in Japanese but clicking
> on Changelog version 0.6.2 appears to show the script. It would be nice to
> resolve this problem, as at the moment FC2 doesn't seem to have a standalone
> midi player with a GUI.  I have no experience at all up to now with working
> with scripts, and rebuilding the kernel is another one on the list. But if
> anyone would help me with the script on the Japanese site, I'm game for it.
> Nigel.
>
> Incidentally, the sourceforge page that shows the screenshot is accessible
> from the  TiMidity home page link on the planetccrma music software page.

-- Fernando