[PlanetCCRMA] Apt log? & Ongoing lack of GUI for TiMidity

nigel henry cave.dnb@tiscali.fr
Fri Mar 18 09:49:01 2005

Hi folks. Easy one first. Is there supposed to be a log file for apt, like
there is for yum in /var/log?  The apt archives cache isn't much use for time
and date logged updates.

TiMidity++ version 2.11.3  on FC2, Kernel version 2.6.10-0.2.rdt.rhfc2.ccrma
and later ones. Alsa version 1.0.8
Kmidi works fine on FC1 as a front end for TiMidity. KDE having dropped Kmidi
from FC2 seem to have put an end to using TiMidity as a stand alone midi
player. Trying to start it on the CLI just brings up an info page. Double
clicking on it in /usr/bin does nothing, as against other binaries with known
GUI's, games etc. Using the -ig option on the CLI says "Interface g not
compiled in" , so on the face of it, it looks like theres no inbuilt GUI for
it. MDK10.0 uses TiMidity++-2.12.0-0.pre1.4mdk. This has a nice little piano
desktop icon and opens up a midi player, which seems to work in the same way
as Kmidi did. Sourceforges site now shipping TiMidity++ version 2.13, shows a
screenshot for it. A bit confusing as further down their page there is a link
to a Japanese site for a script to make a GUI for it, see.
http://wids.net/lab/timidity.html . A lot of it is in Japanese but clicking
on Changelog version 0.6.2 appears to show the script. It would be nice to
resolve this problem, as at the moment FC2 doesn't seem to have a standalone
midi player with a GUI.  I have no experience at all up to now with working
with scripts, and rebuilding the kernel is another one on the list. But if
anyone would help me with the script on the Japanese site, I'm game for it.
Nigel.

Incidentally, the sourceforge page that shows the screenshot is accessible
from the  TiMidity home page link on the planetccrma music software page.