[PlanetCCRMA] snd-intel8x0 loaded but no sound on FC3

Pierre Proske drmoth@tpg.com.au
Mon Mar 14 13:17:01 2005

>>>Mar 13 18:58:36 localhost kernel: snd_intel8x0: Unknown parameter `'
>>>

>Looks like whatever you added had syntax problems......
>
>-- Fernando

That sounds right. It was my wrong addition to modprobe.conf

Ok, I think I have the final summary of symptoms, although I now think
it might be a bug somewhere and I won't be able to get sound until
another release perhaps.

after a reboot I begin by running alsamixer to check the levels are up.
I then restart alsasound - it outputs the following as I previously wrote:

# /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound restart
Shutting down sound driver                                 [  OK  ]
Starting sound driver snd-intel8x0                         [  OK  ]
Starting sequencer                                         [  OK  ]
Restoring sound driver settings /usr/sbin/alsactl: load_state:1267: No
soundcards found...        [FAILED]

I then delete /etc/asound.state, and restart again:
# /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound restart
Shutting down sound driver                                 [  OK  ]
Starting sound driver snd-intel8x0                         [  OK  ]
Starting sequencer                                         [  OK  ]
No mixer config in /etc/asound.state, you have to unmute your card!

So then I run alsamixer, set levels, and then run 'alsactl store' to
create /etc/asound.state again.

After another restart of alsasound, I get the first series of messages
listed above - I'm back where I started.

But then if I delete asound.state again, restart alsasound and then run
alsamixer again, I get:
# rm /etc/asound.state
# /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound restart
Shutting down sound driver                                 [  OK  ]
Starting sound driver snd-intel8x0                         [  OK  ]
Starting sequencer                                         [  OK  ]
No mixer config in /etc/asound.state, you have to unmute your card!
# alsamixer
alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
directory

This is starting to feel buggy, so maybe I'll just give up for now.

my /etc/asound.state file looks like this, for what its worth:
state.I82801DBICH4 {
        control.1 {
                comment.access 'read write'
                comment.type BOOLEAN
                comment.count 2
                iface MIXER
                name 'Master Playback Switch'
                value.0 true
                value.1 true
        }
        control.2 {
                comment.access 'read write'
                comment.type INTEGER
                comment.count 2
                comment.range '0 - 31'
                iface MIXER
                name 'Master Playback Volume'
                value.0 23
                value.1 23
        }
        control.3 {
                comment.access 'read write'
                comment.type BOOLEAN
                comment.count 2
                iface MIXER
                name 'Headphone Playback Switch'
                value.0 true
                value.1 true
        }
        control.4 {
                comment.access 'read write'
                comment.type INTEGER
                comment.count 2
                comment.range '0 - 31'
                iface MIXER
                name 'Headphone Playback Volume'
                value.0 26
                value.1 26
        }

.... (more of the same) ...

        control.27 {
                comment.access 'read write'
                comment.type BOOLEAN
                comment.count 1
                iface MIXER
                name 'Line Jack Sense'
                value true
        }
        control.28 {
                comment.access 'read write'
                comment.type BOOLEAN
                comment.count 1
                iface MIXER
                name 'External Amplifier'
                value true
        }
}

Thanks very much for everyone's help....

regards,
Pierre