[PlanetCCRMA] snd-intel8x0 loaded but no sound on FC3

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Sun Mar 13 19:30:02 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 00:14:31 +0100, Pierre Proske <drmoth@tpg.com.au> wrote:

> Hi Mark,
> I removed the modem module, someone else suggested it as well, but no
> improvement.
> When I restart I still get this alsactl message, which appears harmless,
> and my mixer settings are erased...not related I guess, but is it normal?
>
> # /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound restart
> Shutting down sound driver                                      [  OK  ]
> Starting sound driver snd-intel8x0                          [  OK  ]
> Starting sequencer
> [  OK  ]
> Restoring sound driver settings /usr/sbin/alsactl: load_state:1267: No
> soundcards found...     [ FAILED ]

OK, so in this case the modem driver was not started (good) but left
over configuration values were left in /etc/asound.state. Erase
/etc/asound.state (or move it somewhere if you are worried about what
in it. No need to be) and then try running alsamixer and setting
values. This will regenerate asound.state with values appropriate for
the onboard sound chip.

(Assuming it works!!)

> I'm listing the following because I'm running out of ideas. Why would
> regular FC3 work and FC3-ccrma not?

That is strange but I expect it does happen and there's probably a
good reason when we get to the bottom of it.

> I was getting some other error messages earlier today, but they
> disappeared after I took out some lines I had manually added to
> modprobe.conf, opting for the alsaconf lines instead:
> Mar 13 18:53:23 localhost modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting snd_intel8x0
> (/lib/modules/2.6.10-0.6.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma/updates/pci/snd-intel8x0.ko):

Humm....this looks strange to me. This sort of thing happens when the
kernel you are running does not match up correctly with the modules
that are being modprobed. double check that you really are running
exactly 2.6.10-0.6.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma.

> Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
> Mar 13 18:53:23 localhost alsasound: Starting sound driver snd-intel8x0
> succeeded
> Mar 13 18:53:23 localhost modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting snd_intel8x0
> (/lib/modules/2.6.10-0.6.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma/updates/pci/snd-intel8x0.ko):
> Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
> Mar 13 18:53:23 localhost alsasound: Starting sound driver snd-intel8x0
> succeeded
> Mar 13 18:53:36 localhost kernel: snd_intel8x0: Unknown parameter `'
> Mar 13 18:53:37 localhost kernel: snd_intel8x0: Unknown parameter `'
> Mar 13 18:53:37 localhost kernel: snd_intel8x0: Unknown parameter `'
> Mar 13 18:58:36 localhost kernel: snd_intel8x0: Unknown parameter `'
>
> anyway, thanks for your help, and if you have any wild ideas, I'm
> prepared to try them out...

I hope the above helps. Again, make sure you know that the modules and
the kernel are really matched correctly to each other. Also try runing
/sbin/depmod -a .

good luck,
Mark