[PlanetCCRMA] USB-audio config questions

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Thu Mar 10 19:30:03 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:13:12 -0800, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I think the thing to do is to add a line like this:
> > options snd_intel8x0 index=1
> > to modprobe.conf, do a "/sbin/depmod -a" and reload alsa (or reboot)
>
> OK, seems to have worked, at least when restarting also by hand. I'll
> send this message now and then reboot and make sure it sticks. thanks
> for your help!

Hi. It didn't stick after a reboot. Here's my state after first logging on:

[root@dragonfly root]# cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [default        ]: USB-Audio - USB Audio CODEC
                     Burr-Brown from TI               USB Audio CODEC
at usb-0000:00:1d.1-2, full s
[root@dragonfly root]#

The Intel is not seen. There is a message in dmesg:

ALSA /usr/src/rpm/BUILD/alsa-driver-1.0.8/acore/init.c:107: cannot
find the slot for index 0 (range 0-0)
Intel ICH: probe of 0000:00:1f.5 failed with error -12
[root@dragonfly root]#

At first it seemed to me that USB took slot 0 and then Alsa couldn't
place the Intel chip at 0 but then I tried restarting Alsa by hand and
got some strange messages:

[root@dragonfly root]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound restart
Shutting down sound driverERROR: Module snd_pcm is in use by
snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
ERROR: Module snd_timer is in use by snd_pcm
ERROR: Module snd is in use by
snd_mixer_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
                                                           [  OK  ]
ALSA driver already running
WARNING: /etc/modprobe.conf line 11: ignoring bad line starting with 'option'
Starting sound driver snd-intel8x0                         [  OK  ]
Starting sound driver snd-intel8x0                         [  OK  ]
Starting sound driver snd-usb-audio                        [  OK  ]
Starting sequencer                                         [  OK  ]
Restoring sound driver settings                            [  OK  ]
[root@dragonfly root]# cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [default        ]: USB-Audio - USB Audio CODEC
                     Burr-Brown from TI               USB Audio CODEC
at usb-0000:00:1d.1-2, full s
[root@dragonfly root]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound stop
Shutting down sound driver                                 [  OK  ]
[root@dragonfly root]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start
WARNING: /etc/modprobe.conf line 11: ignoring bad line starting with 'option'
Starting sound driver snd-intel8x0                         [  OK  ]
Starting sound driver snd-intel8x0                         [  OK  ]
Starting sound driver snd-usb-audio                        [  OK  ]
Starting sequencer                                         [  OK  ]
Restoring sound driver settings                            [  OK  ]
[root@dragonfly root]#

Bad option on line 11 seems to point at this line:

alias eth0 8139too
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 &&
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
}; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd
alias wlan0 ndiswrapper
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0

options snd-intel8x0 index=0

alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
option snd-usb-audio index=1

You suggested snd_intel8x0 where as I used snd-intel8x0 as it seemed
to match the name in the main Alsa drive line. Is this incorrect?

Fortunately this all works if I boot with the USB device not
installed, but that's a silly thing to do...

thanks for your help,
Mark