[PlanetCCRMA] USB-audio config questions

Thu Mar 10 18:43:01 2005

]On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 18:04, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
>    Two questions:
>
> 1) I bought a small USB sound device for my wife's Planet box.  I
> plugged it in and it worked first time. Question is why? What loaded
> snd_usb_audio?

That would be the hotplug subsystem, it monitors events in pluggable
buses like usb and loads the modules that understands the new
peripherial that was just added.

This is independent of the modprobe.conf configuration file.

> 2) In this new style of modprobe.conf (which does not match the
> modules.conf formats on the Planet site)

There is something about multiple cards in the fc2/3 configuration
section (using the new format).

> where do I place the options
> statements to make sure the Intel chip is hw:0 and the USB device is
> hw:1?
>
> [root@dragonfly root]# cat /proc/asound/cards
> 0 [ICH5           ]: ICH4 - Intel ICH5
>                      Intel ICH5 with ALC655 at 0xfa081000, irq 17
> 1 [default        ]: USB-Audio - USB Audio CODEC
>                      Burr-Brown from TI               USB Audio CODEC
> at usb-0000:00:1d.1-2, full s
> [root@dragonfly root]#
>
> It seems that if I boot with this device plugged in it comes up as
> hw:0 and I'd like it to be hw:1.

I think the thing to do is to add a line like this:
options snd_intel8x0 index=1
to modprobe.conf, do a "/sbin/depmod -a" and reload alsa (or reboot)

Come to think about it, I think this was failing for me in a test I did.
I can't remember what happened and I'm away from the machine in which I
could test it.

-- Fernando