[PlanetCCRMA] no sound or wireless on IBM T41p

Nick Malnati Nick Malnati <nmalnati@gmail.com>
Tue Mar 8 06:25:02 2005

Hi-

I'm new to CCRMA and am having issues with my sound card and wireless.
 Thanks in advance for any help.

I own an IBM Thinkpad T41p (2373geu).  If you have this exact model,
please feel free to contact me directly.

I have the following kernels installed:
2.6.10-0.6.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma
2.6.10-2.1.ll.rhfc3.ccrma
2.6.9-1.667

The stock fc3 kernel works fine.  I get audio out of my cheap laptop
speakers and can use the wireless with madwifi drivers obtained from
the CVS.

Kernel version 2.6.10-2.1.ll has recognized my sound card exists, but
GNOME, jack, or any other program won't recognize that the driver is
there.  The gnome volume applet shows no sound cards.  When
autodetecting my sound card, I get that the card has been detected,
but I cannot hear the test file being played.

2.6.10-0.6 is the newest kernel, which has killed both the CVS of the
madwifi drivers, as well as the sound card.
I DID have fc2 installed and everything worked.  I tried updating to
fc3 to get my graphics card running better.  I may just switch back to
fc2, since I know that doesn't die.

Again, thanks for any help.

Nick