[PlanetCCRMA] Snapshot ISO images for FC3 ?

Randy Winchester randy@MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 7 11:51:01 2005

--------------060305040702040100040604

>Message: 2
>Subject: Re: [PlanetCCRMA] Snapshot ISO images for FC3 ?
>From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU>
>To: Andreas.Haunschmidt@voestalpine.com
>Cc: planetccrma@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
>Date: 03 Mar 2005 23:35:20 -0800
>
>On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 12:01, Andreas.Haunschmidt@voestalpine.com wrote:
>

>>First of all I would like to thank Mr. Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
>>and all the people working for the planetccrma software.
>>I'm using it on a few machines (RH9) with great success.
>>
>>Now I've got a new machine and installed FC3 (from the planetccrma
>>FC3 ISO images)
>>As I have only a slow modem internet access from the new machine,
>>it's too heavy to install planetccrma over this connection.
>>
>>So it would be fine if I could download the planetccrma software
>>ISO images (snapshots).
>>
>>When will the snapshots be available for FC2 or FC3 ?
>>
>>I would not mind if some of the packages were "unstable" or "edge"...
>>

>Ok, so today I rebuilt (in a hurry) the scripts to create new images,
>but there are a couple of problems. One is that the images themselves
>are not tested (except to verify that they are recognized by "apt-cdrom
>add" on a fc3 test machine, and that I can install a couple of packages
>from one of them). That is, I have not made a test install from cdrom
>only (nor written the instructions :-). If you still try to use them
>BEWARE, the default mount point in apt is /mnt/cdrom which is not going
>to be there in fc3, make a link or change the option in apt.conf.
>Another potential problem is I did not yet make an image for the updates
>from Fedora Core, that may or not be a problem, depending on whether the
>updates impact the Planet CCRMA packages... (I suspect not, but I'm not
>sure as I have not done a test install from the cdroms only).

Thanks Fernando.  The images are, to put it politely, not quite ready
for prime time.

I tried installing them on a working FC3 system (same box also runs FC1
PlanetCCRMA).  It wasn't bad getting apt going, and it appeared that the
core installed ok also.  On reboot, ALSA couldn't locate the soundcard.
After futzing around with it for a couple of hours, the only way I could
get it to work is to add the modprobe for the soundcard driver to
rc.local.  Same driver . . . it won't load while the system is booting
(returns an error 1394 soundcard not found), but loads just fine and
works from rc.local . . . ???  Otherwise, the new low latency kernel
seems ok and the patch is activated.

Anyway, I installed the FC3 system entirely from CDs and it's not on the
network.  There are some unmet dependencies when trying to install the
Planet aps.  It reports that soundjuicer and swami are required (they
are both on the aps CD), but further down the list the dependencies are
libgnome.so.32, libgnomesupport.so.0, and libgnomeui.so.32.  Even on my
networked up-to-date FC3 machine, I get a "no package provides . . . "
for each of these when I query the rpm database.  So, that's the testing
so far.  Not possible to get any further.

>If you are still interested you can find them here:
>  http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/iso/3/
>(or the similar dir for fc2).
>One is planetccrma-core-*, the other planetccrma-*
>
>Let me know how it goes and sorry for the lack of testing, I hope I'm
>not making you download a lot of stuff for nothing...
>
>Another caveat, the planetccrma iso image (it was a test after all - I
>was not going to release it) does not include the package signature key
>which you will probably need, nor the install isntructions (which are
>not complete anyway). Hopefully I did not forget anything crucial.
>
>-- Fernando

Randy Winchester <randy@mit.edu>
Team Leader, MIT Cable Television, http://web.mit.edu/mitcable
Information Services and Technology (IS&T)
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
MIT 9-050, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139
Office: 617-253-7431, Fax: 617-253-8000

--------------060305040702040100040604

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
 cite="mid20050304200003.25943.2502.Mailman@cm-mail.stanford.edu"
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">Message: 2
    <pre wrap="">First of all I would like to thank Mr. Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
and all the people working for the planetccrma software.
I'm using it on a few machines (RH9) with great success.

Now I've got a new machine and installed FC3 (from the planetccrma
FC3 ISO images)
As I have only a slow modem internet access from the new machine,
it's too heavy to install planetccrma over this connection.

So it would be fine if I could download the planetccrma software
ISO images (snapshots).

When will the snapshots be available for FC2 or FC3 ?

I would not mind if some of the packages were "unstable" or "edge"...
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
[...]
Thanks Fernando.&nbsp; The images are, to put it politely, not quite ready
for prime time.<br>
I tried installing them on a working FC3 system (same box also runs FC1
PlanetCCRMA).&nbsp; It wasn't bad getting apt going, and it appeared that
the core installed ok also.&nbsp; On reboot, ALSA couldn't locate the
soundcard.&nbsp; After futzing around with it for a couple of hours, the
only way I could get it to work is to add the modprobe for the
soundcard driver to rc.local.&nbsp; Same driver . . . it won't load while
the system is booting (returns an error 1394 soundcard not found), but
loads just fine and works from rc.local . . . ???&nbsp; Otherwise, the new
low latency kernel seems ok and the patch is activated.<br>
Anyway, I installed the FC3 system entirely from CDs and it's not on
the network.&nbsp; There are some unmet dependencies when trying to install
the Planet aps.&nbsp; It reports that soundjuicer and swami are required
(they are both on the aps CD), but further down the list the
dependencies are libgnome.so.32, libgnomesupport.so.0, and
libgnomeui.so.32.&nbsp; Even on my networked up-to-date FC3 machine, I get a
"no package provides . . . " for each of these when I query the rpm
database.&nbsp; So, that's the testing so far.&nbsp; Not possible to get any
further.<br>
  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/iso/3/">http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/iso/3/</a>
(or the similar dir for fc2).
One is planetccrma-core-*, the other planetccrma-*

Let me know how it goes and sorry for the lack of testing, I hope I'm
not making you download a lot of stuff for nothing...

Another caveat, the planetccrma iso image (it was a test after all - I
was not going to release it) does not include the package signature key
which you will probably need, nor the install isntructions (which are
not complete anyway). Hopefully I did not forget anything crucial.

-- Fernando
  </pre>
<i>Randy Winchester <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:randy@mit.edu">&lt;randy@mit.edu&gt;</a><br>
Team Leader, MIT Cable Television, <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://web.mit.edu/mitcable">http://web.mit.edu/mitcable</a><br>
Information Services and Technology (IS&amp;T)<br>
Massachusetts Institute of Technology<br>
MIT 9-050, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139<br>
Office: 617-253-7431, Fax: 617-253-8000</i><br>

--------------060305040702040100040604--