[PlanetCCRMA] FW: Kmix not working on Fedora C3

Fri Mar 4 16:26:01 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 15:45, Ken Kupisz wrote:
> I did the following:
>
> Turned everything on in Kmix and passed the Sound Test.
>
> Executed the command ´/sbin/chkconfig alsasound on¡  and rebooted.
>
> Repeated turning everything on in Kmix and tested the sound card.
>
> Started Kmid with a midi file that was tested under Windows XP but no
> sound came and the display showed the player was working.
>
> Please tell me what should I look for next?

Well, you need something to render the midi commands into sound. In part
it depends on which soundcard you have. Some of them have an internal
synthesizer, but for it to work you need to first download a soundfont
(sorry, don't know the details on how to do that). Other than that you
can use a software synthesizer or soundfont player. Fluidsynth is one of
them (and its associated Qsynth gui front end), again you need a
soundfont. Synths available in Planet CCRMA include ZynAddSubFX, Alsa
Modular Synth, etc.

You don't say which version of Fedora Core or RedHat you are using and
whether you installed all of Planet CCRMA.

-- Fernando