[PlanetCCRMA]Re: /dev/midi and pd

Jon B epxcv1y02@sneakemail.com
Thu Feb 10 18:19:02 2005

> > Yes, I just found that.  So I tried it, but it doesn't work, because
> > my midiC_D_ files have changed names.
> >
> > > There is a way to tell udev to recreate devices automatically on boot
> > > (it's on the fc3 release notes). Copy the devices from /dev/ to
> > > /etc/udev/devices/. Again, would be better to alter the creation rules
> > > or really find the bug :-)

It seems like I should be figuring out how to change the creation rules...

> In reality those files should not be links, they should be normal device
> files (made with mknod). This is what I get on an old rh9 machine:
>
> > ls -l /dev/midi*
> crw-------    1 nando    root      35,   0 Jan 30  2003 /dev/midi0
> crw-------    1 nando    root      14,   2 Jan 30  2003 /dev/midi00
> crw-------    1 nando    root      14,  18 Jan 30  2003 /dev/midi01
> crw-------    1 nando    root      14,  34 Jan 30  2003 /dev/midi02
> crw-------    1 nando    root      14,  50 Jan 30  2003 /dev/midi03
> crw-------    1 nando    root      35,   1 Jan 30  2003 /dev/midi1
> crw-------    1 nando    root      35,   2 Jan 30  2003 /dev/midi2
> crw-------    1 nando    root      35,   3 Jan 30  2003 /dev/midi3

I see this:

1. Find the major device number by typing 'cat /proc/devices'. Look
for the device called "ir", and note its number (it will probably be
254 or 253).
2. As root, create a character device called '/dev/ir' with that major
number, using the 'mknod' program.

But are these placed in /dev/ or /etc/udev/devices/ ?  And will they
always be the same numbers?  Can't this be done automatically somehow?

These are mine:

crw-------  1 omegatron root  14, 34 Feb  9 23:50 /dev/snd/midi2
crw-------  1 omegatron root 116, 72 Feb  9 23:50 /dev/snd/midiC2D0
crw-------  1 omegatron root 116, 73 Feb  9 23:50 /dev/snd/midiC2D1
crw-------  1 omegatron root 116, 74 Feb  9 23:50 /dev/snd/midiC2D2
crw-------  1 omegatron root 116, 75 Feb  9 23:50 /dev/snd/midiC2D3

but pd is looking for /dev/midi*.  Is there any way to make pd look in
the other directory?  That might be easier...

But then I still have to worry about plugging in a USB device after
boot or before boot and having the order different...  Argh.