[PlanetCCRMA] soundblaster live resampling?

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Thu Feb 10 10:00:02 2005

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:53:10 -0500, M P Smoak <smoak@mis.net> wrote:
<SNIP>

> I'm not yet using jack at all, nor Ardour;  I'm waiting on FC?? to
> get more stable.

<SNIP>

> I recorded the music stream for awhile and then played along with it
> on the midi keyboard for a bit.  I played back the result in rezound,
> saved it, then saved it as an ogg file with quality level 1.0 (I think
> this is lossless compression), then reloaded the rezound rez file and
> saved it as a wav file.
>
> I saw what I've seen before.  In rezound, no clicks/pops while recording.
> Clicks/pops on playback in rezound that appear to be random and vary in
> location on later playbacks.  No clicks/pops on playback of the ogg or
> wav files using alsaplayer.  To my ear, they sound very nice, execept for
> my poor keyboard playing :).
>
> So I'm wondering if the sblive clicks/pops story has any basis in fact.
> I'm sure not hearing it with any consistency at all.

My thought would be that without using Jack and realtime priorities
then you might get the odd click & pop here and there just due to Alsa
not getting as much time as it wants. I wouldn't be too concerned at
this point.

If you ran with Jack and realtime and still heard them then I'd be
more concerned unless you had the latency cranked way down.

FYI - I run Jack 100% of the time now.

cheers,
Mark