[PlanetCCRMA] kernel-module-alsa-2.6.10-0.4.rdt uninstalls all of Gnome when removed

Mon Feb 7 15:29:01 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 12:26, Cardinal wrote:
> Fun times last night when trying to uninstall CCRMA from a test system
> gone server. I wanted to take this test system back to a stock kernel
> as it is now a server system. The package removal was done in Synaptic
> by searching for CCRMA versions installed. After removing the CCRMA
> versions the system became unstable, so I rebooted and found that
> Gnome was no longer installed. I guess that will teach me to look at
> "all" the packages synaptic removes! ;)

Yup... :-)

> Anyways, after reinstalling gnome I noticed that there were still
> CCRMA packages installed. When I highlighted the
> "kernel-module-alsa-2.6.10-0.4.rdt" package there was a list of other
> packages to be removed and it again is all of Gnome. Any suggestions
> on what I may be doing wrong would be appreciated.

It does not look like you are doing anything wrong.

What you should do is probably use apt-get, or just rpm -e to see what
the dependencies are. For example:

  rpm -e kernel-module-alsa-2.6.10-0.4.rdt.xxxx

And see what it says about dependencies. Probably the problematic
dependency chain is initiated by alsa-lib as the newer version included
in Planet CCRMA depends on alsa-driver (which does not exist in Fedora
Core), and that depends on at least one kernel-module-alsa being
installed. So removing all kernel-module-alsa packages will probably try
to remove alsa-driver and alsa-lib, and alsa-lib is needed by a LOT of
packages :-)

What to do? (if the above turns out to be the real cause)

Hmmm, I'd say remove the Planet CCRMA repositories from apt first (if
you have not done that already).

Then remove "--nodeps" kernel-module-alsa-*, alsa-driver, alsa-lib and
probably alsa-utils (if they are Planet CCRMA versions). Then "apt-get
update" and "apt-get -f install". That should bring in the original
Fedora packages. You may need to "apt-get install alsa-utils" manually.

-- Fernando