[PlanetCCRMA] Fedora Core 2 and 3 support

William M. Quarles walrus@bellsouth.net
Sun Feb 6 18:02:01 2005

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
<snip>

> I think the latest 2.6.x kernels are working quite well. There are two
> "branches" currently, one the standard 2.6.10 kernel (with the stuff
> that enables you to use jack as a normal user) and the more experimental
> ones that use the latest Ingo's realtime preempt patches[*]. The later
> is not so stable, in the sense that some people have problems booting
> into it. If it works in your hardware then it is very good in terms of
> latency performance, I'd say better than 2.4.x.

How does latency compare between the former and 2.4?

<snip>
>On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 10:42, William M. Quarles wrote:
 >
>>On another note, is it possible to put a separate Planet CCRMA
>>announcements is in the pipeline?
>
> I don't understand... announcements about what is in the pipeline? A
> separate announcements list? Could you be more specific?

You have put out a lot of messages on the list with the subjects
starting with words like "updates:," "updated:," "new section:," and the
infamous "redhat 7.3/8.0 support."  These are the kinds of messages that
I think should be put on a separate list.  There is a lot of traffic on
the list, and I hardly read it except when I'm having a problem.  I have
this mailing list automatically sorted into a separate folder so that
the traffic doesn't interfere with my normal e-mail reading (although my
spam level is still higher :-) but luckily double-filtered).  Due to the
traffic it is difficult to pick out announcements from you.

The Red Hat lists face the same difficulty but to a much greater degree,
so they have a separate low-traffic announcements list for The Fedora
Project, where they tell of new releases, updated packages, security
alerts, ends of life, etc.
just thinking that something like that might be helpful to this list.

I probably wouldn't want to see every package that you build for Fedora
Core 3 show up in a separate e-mail message, but maybe a message when
you have completed your build of Planet CCRMA for it, any new packages
that get added to the repository, subsequent updates (so that we know
when to run apt_get), and removal of distributions from the repository
(e.g. RHL 7.3).  Such a mailing list I would not sort out for reading
when needed, but rather I would have it right with my regular e-mail so
that I would know what was up in real time (which is what I do for for
my Fedora announcements list, too).  I hope that clears things up.

Peace,
William