[PlanetCCRMA] Re: More on SMP weirdness

Pablo hpsilva@servidor.unam.mx
Fri Feb 4 15:38:01 2005

Hello again:

> Not really. What is the hardware like? (processors, mobo - not that I
> would know what to do with the info, looks like a very basic kernel
> problem).

Oops, I should have started with this, right?

The workstation is a (built to order) double processor Xeon 2.6 GHz,
two big ATA drives, RME DIGI96/8 PAD soundcard (also having trouble
with this, but I'll get it working _after_ keyboard and mouse :-)  ),
2GB RAM. I can't remember kind of motherboard right now, would need to
look. Both Mouse and Keyboard are generic PS/2.

I don't know much about this deep a level in Linux, but it does look
like a kernel problem of sorts.

> You could try to boot without acpi support, for example, in the grub
> boot command line add "acpi=off"

I'll try it, but, what could the consequences be? Won't the machine
need ACPI at a further stage in the startup process?

Is there any kind of "safe boot" command in Linux, like in MacOS X, and
couldn't that help?

Thanks again.

Pablo