[PlanetCCRMA] still cant get multiface joy

Fri Feb 4 15:11:01 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 14:51, samuraiskillz@blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
> Hi there,
> Still cant get my multiface working.

Symptoms?
You did upgrade to the latest alsa-driver packages, right?
(1.0.8-3)

> my conf file looks like this
>
> alias eth0 r8169 Gigabit Ethernet driver 1.1.2
> alias snd-card-0 snd-hdsp
> remove snd-hdsp { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
> /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-hdsp
> install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 &&
> /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
> /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
> alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
> alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd
> alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
> alias eth1 ipw2200
> ~
>
> Looking into it a bit should I have
>
> options snd-CARD_0 index=0
>
> after alias snd-card...?

Nope, the configuration files looks fine (except for the leftover
snd-intel8x0 lines there, probably from the onboard soundcard of your
motherboard). The "CARD_0" thing is just a placeholder for your card, it
is not meant to be inserted there literally! And there is no snd-hdsp
"install" line...

Something like this (all in one line!):

install snd-hdsp /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-hdsp &&
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

I just had a minute to plugin a headphone to the output of the
test digiface I installed in one of my test machines. It looks
like sound is working fine here.

Check (after you start the machine) that:
- your card is listed in /proc/asound/cards
  ("cat /proc/asound/cards")
- the devices are also listed
  ("cat /proc/asound/devices")
- start hdspmixer, play something and see if the vu meters move
  (I'm using the default "1" preset of hdspmixer, not all presets
  will route to the monitor output).

If things don't work do this (to get rid of whatever you currently
have saved in your mixer setup file, /etc/asound.state):

- logout of the graphical login
- change to a text terminal (<ctrl><alt><f1>, for example)
- login in the text terminal
- stop alsa: /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound stop
- verify there are no snd-* modules loaded (/sbin/lsmod|grep ^snd-)
- erase or move away the current mixer state:
  rm /etc/asound.state
- reboot the machine to get things started properly with no
  memory of the previous state of the mixer.

-- Fernando