[PlanetCCRMA] amSynth SUID root help (Newbie)

Thu Feb 3 15:46:01 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 15:28, Ben Cohen wrote:
> I'm having problems getting amSynth to run smoothly.
> When I start it a message says it can't set realtime
> priority and then goes on to mention SUID root.
>
> What is SUID root and how do I use it to get amSynth
> to run better?

I have not tried to use amSynth suid root so I can't comment on how much
better it runs, or not.

Most probably it will not make a difference if you already run amSynth
as a Jack client. Jack will give the amSynth audio thread the realtime
scheduler that most probably would get if you run it suid root.[*]

-- Fernando

[*] suid root apps can be run by normal users but run as if they were
run as the root user.