[PlanetCCRMA] Re: Planet boxes as ogg client/server

Mark Knecht Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
Tue Feb 1 13:25:03 2005

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 12:25:39 -0800 (PST), Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
<nando@ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 10:15, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Hi,
> >    A bit more info:
> >
> > 1) I forgot to mention that both sides are running Gnome by default
> > today. The server probably needs to be Gnome to suit my wife's needs.
> >
> > 2) I sat and watched a large file copy this morning as I dragged over
> > a few directories to listen to. There was one long period where the
> > copy process just stopped even though I could ping the machine and
> > wander around looking at its hard drive. It turns out my wife had just
> > started Sound Juicer to rip another CD. While the ripping was
> > occurring for long periods of time it appears that the system gave no
> > time to my network requests for file copies. I think this is likely to
> > be the issue.
> >
> >    How do I optimize 2.6.10-2.1.ll.rhfc2.ccrma to favor networking and
> > hard drive usage and to deemphasize CDROM usage? I don't want to kill
> > either but I want network requests going to the hard drive for audio
> > to get through much more reliably.
>
> Hmmm, strange situation. I presume you need samba because you want to
> mount stuff from windows machines, right? I have only worked with nfs so
> I have no samba experience (can't dance either :-)

It would be nice but it's not required. None of my Windows boxes will
play ogg files today anyway.

I don't know how to get NFS working but I'm making a little headway:

1) Added /MusicLib (ro) to the /etc/exports file and started NFS.
nfs-stat shows the export:

[root@dragonfly etc]# nfs-export --list
Directory       Permissions             Hosts
/MusicLib               ro
[root@dragonfly etc]#

2) Tried to mount it on the client side but it didn't work:

[root@Godzilla root]# mount -t nfs dragonfly:/MusicLib /home/mark/nfsMusic/
mount to NFS server 'dragonfly' failed: server is down.
[root@Godzilla root]#

Dragonfly (the server) has iptables running. Do I need to open ports
like for Samba? What numbers? TCP only or UDP also?

thanks,
Mark