[PlanetCCRMA] Help! No login window

andres@geminiflux.com andres@geminiflux.com
Tue Feb 1 04:49:01 2005

Hi all.
I'm back on windows writing this email, and I'm very annoyed that the middle
button doesn't paste! The reason for this is that my Fedora partition is not
booting properly. Here are the symptoms, I hope the solution is simple and some
of you can help out.
Grub functions properly, and booting starts normally, even displaying the little
computer with the progress bar. All progress goes normally until it is time to
start the login window. The usual message "Fedora Core (tettnang) Localhost
login:" (I'm paraphrasing) appears, and where the login screen should appear, I
get a blank screen. There is some disk activity for about 15-20 seconds, and
then it stops. The systems seems not to be completely halted, because if I
press ctrl-alt-del, a normal reboot procedure starts (it takes a while-like a
normal shutdown, apparently shutting down modules and unmounting the disks-no
unclean shutdown reported on next boot).
Before this problem happened I was happily using kde, and shutdown the computer
(which went normally), although I had many windows open (which might create a
large session on next kde boot). I then booted windows, did some work, and then
shut down windows which went normally.
Something strange that happened after the first fedora boot failure was that the
initial grub and kernel report screens no longer take up the whole screen, but
rather their 'real' pixel size. I have a 1400x1050 screen.
My system is a Dell Inspiron 8200, P4 1.6GHz 512 Mb, ATI Radeon 9000 (M9). I
have 3 fedora kernels installed, which exhibit the same problem (the original
FC2 kernel, and the latest planet and planetedge kernels).
Please help me make use of my middle button again!

Thanks,
Andrés

nofb with acpi