[PlanetCCRMA] almost there??? Midi not working

Nigel Henry cave.dnb@tiscali.fr
Tue Dec 27 09:34:01 2005

On Tuesday 27 December 2005 17:54, John Lowry wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an onboard nvidia nForce2 AC97 audio controller on my motherboard
> and a cheapie C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738 card.
>
> I had some problems with configuring nVidia with alsaconf and 'alsasound
> start', but installing and using the C-Media card fixed that.
>
> I've gotten to the point where all the apps are installed and the ones I've
> tried come up.  Hydrogen, for example, seems to work perfectly.
>
> What I want to do is run Rosegarden, or indeed some other program that
> allows note input and speaker output.
>
> I am completely new to this, so here's a basic question:  should I expect
> the sound card to produce sound on my speakers from a midi file imported to
> Rosegarden?  Or do I need to get some extra hardware, or use a different
> program altogether?
>
> Control Center->Sound System->Hardware lists Midi device as
> 'Rosegarden Rosegarden input - ALSA device'; 'Test Sound' works, 'Test
> MIDI' does nothing.
>
> Answers, pointers to the appropriate docs, etc. would be appreciated.
>
> --John

Hi John . And welcome to Planetccrma. To play midi you either need a soundcard
that will support the loading of soundfonts (.sf2) or use a synth like
Timidity that has built in fonts, or Qsynth. With Qsynth you will still need
to load a soundfont. I don't know your soundcard, but if you look through the
cdrom you received with it (for the Windows install) you should be able to
find out if you have any soundfonts (.sf2). If there is nothing there, it
probably doesn't support them. I think it needs a wavetable synth. Soundfonts
for Qsynth, and anything else that uses them are available freely on the web.
One good source is. http://www.hammersound.net. Let me know how you get on. I
have some more soundfont links. but will have to look them up. Nigel.