[PlanetCCRMA] SMP Boot Problem Report

Tue Dec 20 10:10:02 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 08:03 -0800, Timothy Polashek wrote:
> Hello-
>
> I just tried the booting the latest edge FC4 Kernels after installing from a
> fresh install of FC4.
>
> Booting with 2.6.14-0.10.rrt.rhfc4.ccrma works just fine.
>
> However, booting with 2.6.14-0.10.rrt.rhfc4.ccrmasmp always freezes the machine
> at the "Starting networking" point of the boot process.
>
> This problem persisted even after performing an "apt-get dist-upgrade" command.
>
> I'd prefer during the smp version running to get the most out of both CPUs.  Has
> anyone also experienced this problem with this kernel?  Or better yet, found a
> way to fix it?

No, I have not seen this problem.

I would seem that loading one of the drivers is hanging the machine. Did
you try to boot without the graphical boot interface to see if there are
messages there to see? (edit out the "rhgb quiet" part of the boot line
in grub). Do you see any messages in /var/log/messages from the smp
failed boot when you boot into the up kernel? What kind of hardware do
you have?

Even if you manage to get to the actual error messages I would not be of
much help - if it is indeed a problem with some particular driver Ingo
Molnar and the linux kernel mailing list would be the one to contact
with error messages and such.

-- Fernando