[PlanetCCRMA] alsasound and FC4

Wed Dec 7 10:21:00 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 10:42 -0500, Roman Katzer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a couple of boxes running FC1 with CCRMA, and all is good
> because FC1 didn't come with alsa and CCRMA does everything one would
> want/need.
>
> Now testing FC4 one of the forst things I noticed is that alsa is in
> the standard kernel now but there's no alsasound service. CCRMA
> post-installs that.
> Why? What is alsasound needed for if alsa is in the kernel already?

"alsasound" is the tweaked original alsa startup script. It is just a
script that runs at boot time (if enabled by chkconfig) and loads all
pertinent alsa kernel modules. Fc4 starts the sound driver differently
and alsasound is strictly not needed, but it does not hurt if it is
there (and is handy when you want to _stop_ the sound driver and start
it again - there is nothing in fc4 that can do that easily).

-- Fernando