[PlanetCCRMA] to restore the MBR

Mario Torre mppr_kris@tiscali.it
Tue Dec 6 13:14:00 2005

7lb9oz Productions wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a question that is not specific to FC or CCRMA, but it is
> required info for my system so I will go ahead and ask it here.
>
> I have windowsXP installed to my primary master, and FC3 on my primary
> slave.  This has been my test install and I am now ready to finalize the
> install, but I am going to set up slightly different using removable HDs.
>
> FC3 will be completely reinstalled, but I would like to keep the XP
> install as is.  How do I go about restoring the MBR so that it will
> remove grub and just boot straight to XP as before?  Do I just boot from
> the XP cdrom and choose the option to "repair this windows OS"?  Or, can
> I just do the old fdisk mbr?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> SMH

Hi!

You can still use grub to do run XP as default. Anyway, it's a lot of
time that I do not do something like that, but if I remember you should
be able to restore the MBR with fdisk under windows (dos?). Just type
fdisk /MBR on the command line.

You should check for drawbacks about using this tool, because I don't
remember if there are any (wow, for what I can tell I have _never_
removed a linux installation!).

Hope that helps,
Mario