[PlanetCCRMA] New user; FC3 or FC4? Slowly getting there

Jan Depner eviltwin69@cableone.net
Fri Dec 2 14:35:03 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 13:13 -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 23:18 -0600, Jan Depner wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 17:53 +1100, Shayne O'Connor wrote:
> > > Jan Depner wrote:
> > >   >     Outstanding!!!  It works!  Now, hopefully, just one more thing
> > > >

> > > not sure if you need it? while i was using CCRMA's FC4 kernels, i never
> > > had to install the source kernel package ... just do the
> > > ./nvidia-installer thing ... although i seem to remember reading
> > > fernando saying something about the latest kernels needing source
> > > packages to compile modules (i've been building my own kernels for a
> > > while now, so this could be true). may as well try installing the nvidia
> > > module without kernel sources, see how it goes ;)

> > > amen to that! if it wasn't for fernando i'd still be using windows ... ugh!
> > >
> > > shayne
> > >

> > Shayne,
> >
> >     You seem to know your way around the new 2.6 stuff.  How do I get
> > the low-latency/preempt stuff working.  I used to run root SCHED_FIFO
> > and set low-latency in /proc under 2.4.  Is there any information
> > anywhere about getting the most out of the new core-edge kernel?
>
> Hopefully you don't need to do anything :-)
>
> You should be able to run SCHED_FIFO as a normal user, no need to login
> as root for that. Depending on which kernel you are booting there is a
> module that enables access to that that should be automatically loaded,
> or it is built into the kernel but needs a tweaked PAM that is part of
> the Planet CCRMA packages.
>
> -- Fernando

    Everything appears to be working so far.  I even got the NVIDIA
driver loaded.  It wouldn't load until I went to the rdt kernel though.
I've got an old TNT2 card so that was probably part of the problem.  So,
since I'm running the rdt planet-edge kernel, I should be able to run
SCHED_FIFO as a normal user as well as root?  It's certainly working as
root.

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should
be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744