[PlanetCCRMA] Noteedit packaging suggestion

Luis Garrido luisgarrido@users.sourceforge.net
Fri Dec 2 10:33:02 2005

I have a suggestion about noteedit packaging.

As it is now, noteedit is packaged with the ability to output midi via
libkmidi. Unfortunately, this means that it depends on kdebase and
kdemultimedia, which adds some 72 MB of KDE bloat to your
installation. I think noteedit only uses khelpcenter from kdebase and
libkmidi from kdemultimedia, but the way kde is packaged you have to
install the full bundle.

I fail to understand why kde is packaged like that... why not use
metapackages for users that don't want to trouble with fine tuning and
let more selective users hand pick their own choices?

Anyway, I downloaded the tse3 and noteedit SRPMs and edited out arts
dependency in tse3 and all the kde and arts stuff in noteedit from the
spec files. I rebuilt and installed tse3 and then noteedit. The
autoconf procedure gave the corresponding "crippled" RPMs without a
hitch. I checked out that noteedit plays qsynth correctly via
TSE3/ALSA.

What I suggest is to add the packages tse3-noarts and noteedit-noarts
to the Planet to avoid dependency of kdebase and kdemultimedia. It
only needs minor changes to the spec files. Probably adding
--without-arts to the tse3 build and --without-libkmid --without-arts
to the noteedit one.

Regards,

Luis