[PlanetCCRMA] New user; FC3 or FC4? Slowly getting there

Paquita paquita@xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 1 06:26:00 2005

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

>The only major advantage I see in FC3 is the availability of cdrom
>images which I have not recreated yet for FC4 (but FC4 has a full blown
>"all included" install dvd - experimental, of course). If you don't need
>them you could go with FC4. For the current status of the FC4 packages
>as compared to FC3 see:
>  http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/fc4buildstatus.html

[Sorry Fernando for polluting you mailbox with my earlier replies, I had
missed the Reply-to-Sender setting of the list]

To sum up:
- following your advice and Matt Marian's, I installed FC4.
- then I failed to find the planetccrma-core package in the repos, so I
tried planetccrma-core-edge.
- after rebooting, I got a kernel panic.
- I then searched more with apt-cache, and found and installed
kernel-2.6.12-0.9.rdt.rhfc4.ccrma.i686.rpm, which I hope is the right
non-edge kernel.

So I guess now I'm all set for the kernel part.

Paquita