[PlanetCCRMA] RME Multiface or Digiface?

Mark Knecht markknecht@gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 13:27:01 2005

Hi Henk,

Digiface (and the HDSP 9652 that I use) - 3 ADAT channels and 1 spdif
channel. Each ADAT channel carries 8 audio channels in digital format.
The spdif port carries 2 audio signals in digital format. All of these
ports must be hooked to some sort of external digital device to be
useful. There is no analog on the Digiface at all. (3*8) +2 == 26
channels out and 26 channel in.

Multiface - 8 Analog channels + 1 ADAT + 1 spdif. 8+8+2 == 18 channels
out and 18 channels in. (possibly 2 more channels for headphone stuff
but I'm not sure.) The Multiface can be hooked to a synth or an
external preamp, etc. as it has 8 channels of D/A and A/D.

I would suspect that the Multiface is probably the one you want as the
Digiface will require that you purchase additional external D/A and
A/D converters to be useful to you but possibly you have some
equipment like that hanging about.

Hope this helps,
Mark