[PlanetCCRMA] Alsamixer question

nigel henry cave.dnb@tiscali.fr
Thu Aug 25 07:06:02 2005

Hi Bill. In addition to David's reply, if you are using KDE it may be worth
considering the following. KDE has it's own mixer, with the ability to save
settings. To access this, go to. control centre/sound & multimedia/mixer .
Here you will find an entry "Load volumes on login" with a checkbox to the
left. Uncheck it if it's checked, then apply, and close the control centre.
This is on FC1 & FC2 . I havn't got FC3 & FC4 and I know that later versions
of KDE have removed the mixer from the control centre subsection for sound &
multimedia. The only distro that I've got KDE 3.4 on is Gentoo. Here if you
open Kmix, you'll find it has menu items on it. Go to settings.configure
Kmix, and you'll find the "Load volumes on login" with it's checkbox here.
Again uncheck it, apply, then ok. Moving on. Set up Alsamixer how you want
it, you probably won't need to do an alsactl store, as these settings should
be stored automatically on shutdown. In fact they probably have been stored
already by alsactl, but KDE's mixer was resetting the Alsamixer to the
settings that Alsamixer was originally set to as default.

I may be wrong, and am happy to be corrected, but what would appear to be the
scenario is this.  When you originally install Alsa, often the mixer has some
items muted, and/or some controls set to zero. KDE if the "load volumes at
login" is checked, stores these. You then set up Alsamixer, unmuting, and
setting the controls as you want them. Bear in mind that KDE's mixer has got
the original settings still. You shut down the machine, and alsactl remembers
you're newly set up Alsamixer. You then boot you're machine up, and alsactl
restores the settings to Alsamixer during the bootup. These are you're
settings as you wanted them. But, and this is the big BUT. You now login to
KDE, and KDE's mixer changes them to what was originally stored as default
when you first installed Alsa. It is probably not a good idea that KDE has
this "load volumes at login" checked as default, and does cause a lot of
confusion as to why alsactl does not appear to be restoring Alsamixers
settings. I hope this may be of some help with your problem. Nigel.